05 February 2009

Saving the suburbs

Retrofitting Suburbia

Reader Comments:
"The only thing that will save the suburbs is to create a national train system, with stations as the center of towns. The suburbs in their current form are doomed as oil runs out, and good riddance." -Aaron S.

The appeal: "It’s difficult being a single parent in this affluent, unkind town; most cars in the high school lot are newer, the homes are bigger and the abs more toned than mine, but I live surrounded by protected open space, owls hoo hoo outside the dual paned windows, the Big Dipper ladles a sparkly light AND I can send my son to public school. I think I’ll stop whining…" -nancy berg

Miserable?: "Ironically, the question of where to put the population that is displaced can now be answered: repatriate them to the miserable, crime-infested suburbs." -jm in brooklyn

"When you’re done saving the suburbs and cities, could you give a thought to the impoverished rural areas?" -Mom / Grammy

0 comments: